News – Articles
vacancies in the SADC region
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) is a regional economic community founded and maintained by countries in Southern Africa. It aims to further the socio-economic, political and security cooperation among its Member States and foster regional integration in order to achieve peace, stability and wealth. The Secretariat is currently recruiting for various positions to enhance its capacity to deliver on the above mandate. The Secretariat is therefore inviting suitably qualified and experienced citizens of SADC to apply for the following positions tenable at its Headquarters in Gaborone, Botswana or as stated in the job advert.
NCRF and Key Stakeholder Meeting
Outcome of NCRF and Key Stakeholder Meeting with Minister Mokonyane
The National Community Radio Forum (NCRF), the Department of Communications represented by Minister Nomvula Mokonyane and Deputy Minister Pinky Kekana, Senior Managers of the department, the Media Development and Diversity Agency (MDDA), the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) and SENTECH met on Friday, 20 April 2018 to discuss challenges facing Community Radio Sector in South Africa.
The purpose of the meeting was to attend to the immediate challenge of the 15 Community Radio Stations that had been switched off and the ultimate 108 that were awaiting the same fate, and furthermore to ensure that a long lasting strategy was put in place to ensure that this situation would never arise again. The NCRF was grateful to see that all participants had come to seek a genuine solution to the problems and that the session did not devolve into finger pointing and blaming. All parties, led by the Minister, gave valuable input which led to the following resolutions:
- All 15 Community Radio Station must be reconnected.
- The minister and deputy minister will be visiting all provinces to better understand the unique challenges facing each province during April/May 2018. This exercise will culminate in the minister hosting the National Community Radio Summit involving all sector stakeholders in May 2018.
- The Minister highlighted issues around governance and management that needed attention, and committed that government will play more active role in supporting capacity building efforts in the sector.
- The GCIS committed to intensify their efforts to achieve the 30% of government Ad Spend to Community Media.
The NCRF realise that this is only the beginning of what could be a very fruitful process in addressing challenges around income generation, signal distribution, compliance, and many more. The NCRF is actively lobbying for the following changes in the legislation:
- For Community Radio to be exempted from paying Signal Distribution Fees with SENTECH.
- Category 3 Community Radio Stations (Self Signal Provision) not to have a legal obligation to employ a qualified engineer.
- For Community Radio to be exempted from paying SAMRO License Fees.
- To seek exemption for Community Radio to register for VAT with SARS.
- To actively participate in the current process to review ICASA Act and the MDDA Act.
The NCRF deeply regrets the inconvenience suffered by all communities affected by the switch off. Let us now move forward in unity to eradicate all stumbling blocks hampering our sector ONCE AND FOR ALL.
ISSUED BY National Community Radio Forum
082 704 5148